Jan van Eck, CEO of VanEck Funds, on Global Markets, Deglobalization, and Rising Interest Rates
Panic with Friends – Investing for Profit and Joy
***** NOTE - I am writing from my new blog and newsletter home of BEEHIIV - a modern newsletter platform that Social Leverage has invested in. Please check your 'promotions' folder if you are not receiving the emails.
I’ve been trying hard to get my friend Jan van Eck on the podcast for a few years. He finally agreed. Jan van Eck is the CEO of VanEck, a New York-headquartered mutual fund and ETF company with approximately $80 billion in assets under management. He knows a thing or two about the financial business and the markets.
Jan and I love talking about the markets, startups, fintech and investing together. Jan has been a student of the market for decades and uses history as a guide as we think about the years ahead with interest rising and deglobalization. People need to be thinking about the market in just a little different way than what worked in the past. You’ll learn a lot from our conversation. I know I did.
You can listen to the podcast here on Spotify or Apple podcasts and now all the episodes are on my YouTube channel as well. You can click subscribe on any of these channels and get the podcast alert each week.
You can also listen right here on the blog:
For more details on today’s conversation read on below…
Guest: Jan van Eck
Profile: CEO of VanEck Securities Corporation
What's Jan Panicked About? Our debt levels.
- Introduction (00:39)
- Welcome Jan (04:02)
- Growing a mature business (04:52)
- History is a teacher (07:73)
- Becoming a ‘Macro Structuralist’ (12:58)
- Lessons from the 1970s (14:49)
- The right way to view inflation (15:17)
- Bonds outperform stocks (16:54)
- Will the Fed pivot? (19:12)
- The ETF business (24:49)
- Crypto-related ETNs (27:21)
- China growth & demographics (28:40)
- Getting smarter on Brazil (29:04)
- Web3 (30:18)
- Thoughts on Wealthtech (34:08)
- What if 60/40 is wrong? (35:10)
- Jan argues Howard’s book (39:23)
- People care about performance (39:42)
- Why Jan invested with Howard (40:46)
- Diseconomies of scale (41:45)
- The future of ETFs (43:33)
© Panic with Friends, 2022. All rights reserved.