Panic With Friends with ME (Howard).... The Stocktwits Story
Panic with Friends – Investing for Profit and Joy
A few weeks ago I discussed how I started and built Wallstrip. I plan on doing more origin stories over the next year. I’m covering my own projects as well as those of the ten or fifteen people from the companies I’ve loved and the products I’ve used in Web 2.
In today’s episode I’m back in the hot seat covering the lessons learned from building Stocktwits. Knut and Riley join me as we talk about how we built Stocktwits.
You can listen to the podcast here on Spotify or Apple podcast and now all the episodes are on my YouTube channel as well. You can click subscribe on any of these channels and get the podcast alert each week.
You can also listen right here on the blog:
For more details on today’s conversation read on below…
Profile: Entrepreneur & Investor, GP at Social Leverage
- Introduction (00:22)
- Historic look at Web 2 (01:58)
- Starting Stocktwits (03:25)
- Why I didn’t wait (05:34)
- Creating Bloomberg on Twitter (06:54)
- Building the team (07:28)
- Coming up with the name (08:03)
- Raising money (09:24)
- The first version (12:04)
- Creating the branding (12:16)
- The cap table (15:57)
- Building around twitter (25:08)
- The cash tag (18:16)
- Building on our own (26:02)
- Early Web 2 lessons (29:56)
- Thoughts on AI (32:20)
- Valuing deals (33:56)
- Stocktwits culture (34:28)
- Predicting the future (37:57)
- Wrapping up (39:01)
- Closing thoughts (42:58)
© Panic with Friends, 2022. All rights reserved.
Host: Howard Lindzon | Producer: Knut Jensen | Researcher: Pete Weishaupt Disclaimer: All information provided is for educational purposes only and does not constitute investment, legal or tax advice, or an offer to buy or sell any security. For full disclosures: https://www.howardlindzon.com/c/disclaimer